Monday, November 8, 2010

What to pack when we go to the hospital???

I had been planning on posting this post for a week or so...I guess something was telling me I should get started in thinking about what I need to go to the hospital...no matter how long my stay will be. I asked my good friend, Melissa what she brought because I knew she would have a detailed list, and it has really helped me get started on thinking about what we need.

Because I could be going to the hospital at anytime and could possibly be there for awhile, before I give birth, some things on my list are because of that possibility (hence, may not be needed for someone just going in for a few days). I have a few other lists too for reference, along with Melissa's and so I wanted to share to see if I was missing anything important.

For Me:

Camera with charger cord and USB cord to upload photos
Video camera with charger cord
Laptop with charger cord
Books
Notebook
Copy of my Advanced Directive
Agenda Book
Insurance cards/ID/Purse
Charger for Cell Phone

Socks
Underwear
Winter Coat
Uggs
Numerous Comfy Clothes (something to come home in, go outside/stay in day to day (if there for awhile) and/or to visit babies in NICU)
Nursing Bras
Nursing Tanks
Slippers
Headband and hair clips
Blow Dryer/Straightener

Brush
Toothbrush/Toothpaste
Contact Solution/Case
Sanitary Pads
Shampoo/Conditioner
Razor
Shower Cap
Hair Shine
Belly Cream
Body Lotion
Nipple Cream
Nursing Pads
Soap
Deodorant
Make-up
Medications/Vitamins

Pillows
Blanket
Milk storage bags and bottles for pumping in hospital (use hospital pump while there, per NICU Nurse)

For Tim:

Charger for Cell Phone
Pillow
Blanket

Change of Clothes (Boxers, socks, slippers, t-shirts, jeans, long-sleeve shirts, winter coat, shoes) 
Razor
Deodorant
Toothbrush/Toothpaste

Extra water bottles and snacks!!!

For the Girls:

Car seats (carriers) with bases in the car, already strapped in
Diaper Bag (diapers, desitin, wipes, changing pad, binkies, bottles and formula (if needed))
3 Going Home outfits, with socks, onsises and hats
Winter Jacket pouches for the ride home in car seats
Baby Blankets
Extra onsises (for staying in NICU)
Extra hats (for staying NICU)
Their "lovies" (for staying in NICU)
Burp Cloths

Ok, I am sure I have missed things, but as of right now, this is what I have.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a minimalist when it comes to packing the hospital bag. Less stuff to lose ;) The only thing I would include that you don't have on your list currently is either baby books or scrap book pages for the nurses to put the babies' footprints in. I would give these to the NICU nurse ahead of the section b/c they will probably do all of that in the NICU with the babies rather than in the OR. I forgot to give the nurse Bennett's page ahead of time, so the only thing I have for his scrap book is a crappy xerox of the hospital record with his footprints in it :(

    With Carter, I also had a scrapbook page pre-made for visitors to sign when they came to see him in the hospital.

    My NICU gave out milk collection bottles like water - so you may not need to bring any!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granted I only had one baby and just stayed the standard time but I honestly used next to nothing out of my hospital bag. I wore the hospital gown up until I was discharged. We also leave less than 5 minutes away so my husband was able to run home and change and such. I did bring my baby book for footprints and we used our camera like it was going out of style.

    ReplyDelete