Friday, November 19, 2010

At Home Monitoring!

Today I received my very important package of my Home Monitoring Device! It arrived right on time this morning and a have the sweetest nurse who is my contact for helping me through this. It was super easy to set up, just a lot of pieces and such and of course I was here alone trying to do it myself, but I am a big girl and I managed.

I have to take my blood pressure before starting to monitor and monitoring is twice a day for an hour each. However, if I am feeling really bad and want it on, for however long, I can. That makes me feel good, because at night I contract soooo much and I would love to have it on and send it all my info for them to see really what goes on at night.

Also, I had stated that my insurance is not covering this, but my doctor's office is picking up the tab. My maternity benefits are great, but it doesn't cover anything at home. How that makes any sense is beyond me. The insurance will cover me staying in the hospital for months to be monitored and get injections, but not at home. Weird, our lovely system. So, my terbutaline pump is not covered either, which the doctor wanted me on by today, which I was devastated at yesterday. This is life or death for these babies and because of my insurance my sweet little girls are in jeopardy. It was a bad day yesterday. 

But last night when the nurse called me from the Home Monitoring place, we talked about the whole situation and she said that even though the doctors say they won't cover the at home pump, they most likely will. They always start with covering the monitoring device first and then when they see things that are not as well as they should be, they will almost always cover the pump too, so that I shouldn't worry; if I need it, I will get it. I was so happy to hear that, because I had been given so much negative news yesterday and, well all week, that I needed to hear something positive.

God does work miracles. It's just such an emotional roller coaster. My eyes are so sore from crying these last few days. To say this is a difficult time, is an understatement. But everyday that goes by is another day these little girls are growing right where they belong, inside their Momma. And I much rather be at home, with my pooch, kitties and my husband then in the hospital yet. I know it's pretty much inevitable at this point, so I am just trying to enjoy everyday here at home. I am hoping that there will be no change in my cervix come Monday morning at my next appointment, and I can at least make it through Thanksgiving with my family. I feel better knowing that contractions will be monitored and the doctors and nurses can see what's going on from my cozy bedroom.

So we will see. Trying to put some other posts up too, to keep my mind busy while I lay here. I mean I can only watch so much TV and my eyes do not want to read pages in a book right now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This morning after the first monitoring hour, I had to re-do another hour because I had already gone past my limit of four contraction an hour. When I re-did it I only had three, amen. The nurse described me once again as having an irritable uterus, but that is not that uncommon having multiples. She called the doctor who upped by limit to six contractions an hour rather than just four.

I just did the evening monitoring, and the nurse called and I had SEVEN contractions, so once again, drinking more water (after I have already drank 4 QUARTS today) and then waiting 20 minutes, going potty and monitoring again for another hour! Phew!

So we'll see what happens. Will keep everyone updated. Thank you to all who pray for our family, it is so appreciated!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow sure sounds like so much going on!! The HUGE blessing though is that you are home for right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the mother of 21 year old bbg triplets and I delivered at 32 weeks. They were all very healthy and were considered feeders and growers. The best advise I can give you is listen to your body! Sounds like you are getting great medical care and the steroid shots will really speed up the development of the lungs. I will be thinking of you and you will soon be entering the most wonderful time of your life....Motherhood!

    ReplyDelete