Monday, July 26, 2010

Sonogram Photos and Updates of the Tumbling Three!!

This morning I had my sonogram. It went...well, interesting. I had to go by myself due to everyone going back to work from vacation and being super busy, so I was kinda sad to not be able to share the experience with anyone.

Anyway, I went in and layed on the table and when the nurse started peering around at the babies I started freaking out. Oh my gosh, have they grown!!! She started with Baby C, the singleton, and he/she is huge! Ok, really only 3.87 centimeters but he/she looked huge!! His/her heartbeat is 168 bpm. I could not believe my eyes...I really started to panic when I saw a big head, a nose, arms and legs flying about...I just couldn't believe it. I mean I know they are babies, but oh my gosh, they really are!!! That's the only way I can describe it. I know if there was just one baby I probably wouldn't have been so freaked out, but I HAVE THREE BABIES...6 arms, 6 legs, 30 fingers, 30 toes.... OH MY GOSH. It's scary!!!


I really had one of the worst panic attacks that I have had in a loooong time. I had to ask the nurse to get my water bottle from the floor next to my purse, because I thought I was going to faint, even just laying there. I didn't hear half of what she said during the middle part of the sonogram, because I was just trying to calm myself back down and self-sooth. The sonograms take forever, and really I don't mind, but I was seriously not feeling well.

Finally, we made it to the twins and they were a little less ready to have their photos taken. It was much harder to get photos of them. They are "wild party animals" my doctor said. Lovely... They also looked much bigger but not nearly as clearly able to be seen as the singleton. Baby A was 3.67 centimeters and his/her heartbeat is 165 bpm. Baby B was 3.94 centimeters and his/her heartbeat was 167 bpm.

All three heads!
<><>
<>

<><>
The twins!
Baby B
They just didn't want to have their pictures taken!
When the nurse took all of her photos, measurements, blood flow areas and everything, the doctor came it and took some really great photos of the twins. I was like, "those are the best photos I have seen in the 30 minutes she was on my stomach"! I got about 20 photos of them all, I could barely carry all the photos. They also did the 3D ultrasound with just looked like a bunch of distorted blobs but they said we will get to have the 3D each time! Whahoo! Also, we will get a DVD of the babies twice during their time in me!

The doctor said that at this point there is only about a 1% chance of miscarrying the singleton and maybe about 3% of miscarrying one or both of the twins. I was so glad to hear that. Since I am progressing well and doing everything they say, they aren't worried at this point. I got the all clear to stop my estrace and endometrin when my prescription runs out, which makes me very happy. I hate the endometrin and remembering to "put it in" 3x a day is a pain! Also, the doctor said that I would mostly likely be in the hospital for 5-7 days when I deliver because of the risk of hemorrhaging, since the risk is higher because of birthing 3 babies.

I had my blood pressure taken (normal) and my weight (only up 1.5 lbs.) and each time I am going to basically going to have a physical at every visit. Also, they will start measuring my cervix next time too. I was there almost 2 hours again, just this time! She said expect to be here that long each time because there is just so much to do. Making sure the babies are ok and making sure I'm ok. Whatever, I will do it! They also said the more I can eat the better and the more I can rest the better! Gee, ok!! Also conitue to drink 2L of water each day along with my protein shakes and everything high calorie.

My blood work was all ok, expect my red blood cells which is why I am now on the iron supplements. I will have blood work every other time at my appointments, so once a month.

They also asked about where we would deliver and to go ahead and take the birthing class and tour of the maternity unit by week 20. They suggested having everything done by week 25 because you never know how I will progress or if I will be on mandatory bed rest...that anything can happen, so it's better to not wait to do anything. Also, we need to pick a pediatrician by week 20. I was like, "look I just had a panic attack, and now you want me to go and pick a pediatrician..." HUH!???

There was just so much information, it's almost overwhelming....ok, it IS overwhelming! My next appointment is Wednesday, August 11, 2010, where we will have genetic counseling, sonograms, my check-up, cervix check and pap smear.

2 comments:

  1. That is soooo awesome that you get weekly sonos!!! What an amazing experience to get to watch your babies' development!

    I know it must feel like FOREVER to you, but wow, your pregnancy is flying by! If you were to carry to 40 weeks, you'd already over 1/4 of the way through!

    Eat eat eat! As hard as it is to accept, weight gain IS your friend with multiples and has been proven to prolong multiple pregnancies! Unlike us singleton mommas whose weight gain is watched like a hawk and told (impossibly) to keep it to 25 lbs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have alot going on!! :) so happy everything is progressing well for you and how great that you get sooo many ultrasound pics! :)

    ReplyDelete