Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Sewing!

For Christmas, my mom and dad really surprised me and bought me an awesome sewing/quilting machine! I really was so surprised. I have been asking my mom and my mother-in-law to teach me for some time now, but we are all just busy. The sewing machine sat in my basement and so before Anna was born I decided to finally take some sewing classes. Little did I know, how much I would enjoy this time to myself!

I signed up for classes when they were "buy one, get one" which was awesome! The cost is around $35 dollars for 2-3 hour class. I took the beginner class and then two classes a little more challenging. Honestly, I thought it was going to be really hard because even just reading the manual to the darn machine was like reading a foreign language. To say I was overwhelmed, was an understatement. So, I was really surprised at how quickly I picked it up and learned how easy it really was. Plus, it helps having a new "computerized" machine. The two teachers have been so helpful and nice. The classes only have like 6 people in them and everyone has been so nice. It's only five minutes from my house, so it's nice and close too, which is a big plus. I also like that the classes are in the evenings, like from 6-9pm, the time works great for me. I have enjoyed getting to know the other ladies in the classes, and honestly, it is so nice to have adult conversations for a few hours while learning something. I can't tell you how nice that is!!!

In the first class we made just simple bag but learned so much about all the ins and outs of the machine and little tid-bits of helpful info. Think a small pillow case with a draw string. Perfect teaching for pillow-case dresses for my little ladies! :)

In the second class we made a skirt. We could do any length or size but I decided to make a small one for one of the girls. I already had the fabric and so I just measured and made it in a few hours. The hardest part was pulling through the darn elastic on the top. It is lined and everything.


In the third class we made a tote bag. This was much harder, as it was lined on the inside also with the same fabric and not so straight cuts to line up. I absolutely love the fabric.


Sorry the photos are the best quality, I took them with my phone. I have been using the tote bag to take library books back and forth. It's very light-weight and I really take pride in the fact that I actually made it.

I have lots of patterns and fabric and plan on getting super organized and making time for myself to sew. I really enjoy it and with five little girls to make things for, I want to really get good at it! Tim is always after me to get a hobby, so I hope I can make time to really sit and quietly sew. Once Anna is out of our room, I want to move the sewing machine and table up to my bedroom, because in the basement is just too far away. That way on nights when the girls are in bed and Tim is working, I can watch TV and sew or when Tim wants to watch a game, I can sew and yet, we can still be together. One day, I hope to have a craft room and have lots of ample room!

If you follow me on Pinterest, you can see other things I hope to make one day! I will definitely keep y'all updated on things I make! Just writing this post make me motivated to get going on it again! (Ya know, things have been busy..I had my fifth child a few days after my third class!)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Holly,

    I nominated you for the Liebster Award (although, you just barely qualify...you almost have too many followers!) Read here for more details: http://thefarrell5.blogspot.com/2013/08/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete