Friday, February 15, 2013

Pregnancy #3, Baby #5: Weeks 20-23; and a Concern

Weeks 20-22:

Everything has been going really well. Definitely expanding more. Weight is 142lbs (up from 135lbs). Feeling Anna-Kate more and more as each day passes. She loves to be active in the evening, just like all of her sisters did.

I was having a hard time sleeping, but that has improved in the last week or so.

I also have had a lot of heartburn this time too, as with all my pregnancies.

Dealing with dry skin (but that could be the winter weather). 

Craving alllllllllll sweets! I swear, I am eating ice cream every night! It's terrible, but it's an excuse to get some more calcium, am I right?!


Today is Wednesday, February 12th, and I am 22w6d

Monday, I had a pernatology appointment. I didn't know if I want to share the experience I had on our blog, but I like to be honest and not hold things back that really happen, and this is a document of my pregnancy with Anna. So, I went into the room, normal scan but the sonographer was looking at everything and I thought it was just a little strange since I had already had my anatomy scan weeks ago. She was literally counting each and every finger and toe, looking and measuring every brain vessel, bone, just everything, very, very, very thorough. Next the doctor came in, {same peri I had with my pregnancy with Emily, so he knows me and my history very well} and he did a scan too and said, "she is beautiful!" Heartbeat was 152 bpm. She was moving and kicking and looked perfect! The nurses then did the cervical check and all was fine with that. Cervix was 3.2. Then she said the doctor will be back in. Why was he coming back in, I thought? 

So he came back in...said, "I want to do a scan.." and I said, "you know you already did one, right?" (thinking maybe he forgot what room he was in) and he said he knew and wanted to look at something. Okay....

So he started the scan and went immediately to her leg bones, specifically, the bones between the knee and ankle. He measured the bones. Then asked how tall my husband was. I said 6'2. And how tall am I? I said 5'8. How tall are your other girls? I said, they are tall too. Emily was just measured in the 75th percentile for one year olds. He then moved to the arms and measured them. Then he looked more clearly at her face and said, clearly I see a nasal bone, so that's good. I was really confused.

Finally, with my heart in my throat, I asked, is something wrong!? The doctor finally explained that Anna is measuring very small in her limbs. Let me first say that this can be completely normal. She is very healthy and growing appropriately for gestational age. But as it shows right now her legs are measuring in the 7th percentile and her arms in the 10th. He said, they then look for the nasal bone, to rule out certain things such as down syndrome and of course, my blood work from the first trimester. He said to call my OB and make sure the blood work was all normal, which it was. Amen. Anna clearly has a nasal bone and every other perfect body part.

He said basically we just have to wait until the next peri appointment in 4 weeks, March 11th. Once again, he said this could all resolve before the next appointment. And that she may be just be a smaller baby then of others (let's hope of course, that she isn't small like the triplets were!) and may not be as tall as them when she grows up. Of course we are praying and hoping for everything to be just fine and if she's a little shorter than her sisters, well that's just fine! :) 

Of course it isn't settling to hear that anything could possibly be wrong with your child, but I am being optimistic. I really can't make anymore conclusions until the next appointment, and each appointment after that, we will know more and more. But no matter what I still feel a little uneasy.

All I know for now and what I have to have faith in, is that my sweet baby girl that is growing inside of me, is doing just fine and even if she has shorter limbs, she is still strong enough to be kicking the heck out of me everyday...and each time she does, it's making me smile! :)

And here are some photos taken at the appointment (22w4d):










Today, I am 23 weeks and feeling good! I didn't get much sleep last night, but that's to be expected when your belly is growing and it's getting more uncomfortable. I miss sleeping on my belly so.much!!!!!!! Other than that, all is good. Anna-Kate is moving so much and kicking me all evening! I love it and I will miss never having this feeling again...but I feel so blessed that I got to experience it three times over! 

Here is a photo at 23 weeks (and 1 day) of the growing belly I feel like I am carrying much higher this pregnancy, even though the doctors keep saying she is VERY head down:



IMG00032-20130215-0930.jpg


Hoping the next 17 weeks go super smooth!

7 comments:

  1. I'm praying that Anna Kate is perfectly healthy and that you get great news at your next appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually leave comments on blogs, but I guess I just wanted to encourage you to live out your faith even on those days that the nagging worry may return...mama's love their babies and sometimes that worry can creep back in. My sister was pregnant with her 4th child and in the 30th week the same thing happened to her. They did a routine sonogram and said that the limbs were measuring in the 8th percentile. Obviously they were worried and crushed. Their doctor consulted with another OB specialist who after looking at the scans and actually said he didn't think the child would survive after birth. Scary! So we prayed, and prayed AND prayed. At the birth they had a neonatal team ready and our pastor was there as well and spent time before they induced praying over my sister and the baby. Evie was born and there was NOT ONE THING wrong with this little girl. Praise God. It taught us two things, that NOBODY but our awesome Jesus knows how exactly a child is going to be born and it's scary to think all of the people who have terminated pregnancy's after a doctor advised them to. But it also taught us that God is the great healer! I don't say these things to scare you, I want them to encourage you! You and your husband seem like you are doing an amazing job raising your 4 little girls and I trust your 5th one will be just the way God intended her to be! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't stress! I can't say it enough. For my 4th baby, I had an abnormal kidney in my ultra sound, I had to go into many more test and scans, and MANY more ultra sounds. They had me on my toes till he was born and he was born perfectly healthy. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be praying for peace for you all as you await more news, but she is created in His image and therefore is PERFECT in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you Holly! I know it is so hard to hear unsetting uncertainties like this, but I pray that you would just trust in the Lord and His plan for your family. Ultrasounds are wonderful inventions, but sometimes they give you more to worry about than anything. We had a similar scare with our Samuel and wasn't sure if he would have Down Syndrome until he was born... and as you can tell he is perfectly fine! It sounds like she is beautiful and normal and that you have nothing to worry about! Praying for you though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I came across your blog and read your story, and I am so in awe of you! What an amazing journey you have had! I just wanted to encourage you about your scan with your daughter. When I was around 32 weeks with my daughter I had a scary scan and her limbs were very small for her gestational age. She ended up being just a small baby! Just over 5 1/2 pounds full term, and perfect:) I will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been awhile since I've been over to visit. Congratulations! What beautiful miracles God has done in your life! I smiled when I read about your heartburn....when Ty was first born everyone asked if I had heartburn (apparently it's an old wives tale that bad heartburn = lots of hair). I always chuckled to myself and would answer, "No, I felt great through his whole pregnancy!" :)

    ReplyDelete